Thursday, December 9, 2010

confinement

4 Dec 2010 is the day we are going home as a FAMILY for the first time.
First car ride for Baby Kieran, hubby drove extremely slow and careful, unlike his usual driving style. The difference of having a baby in the car!
Went to pick my mom in law and granny in law at Telok blangah. They will be staying with us and helping us out during my confinement period.

Everything went well and easy for the 1st day, as baby was sleeping most of the time. Except for the many feeds he woke up and cry for. My first breast feed experience was a very pleasant and memorable one. He latched on so naturally and I felt the love of being a mother and instantly a connection was established between me and my baby. The end of delivery pain is a beginning of a series of pain...
On day 2, I experience stinging pain each time baby Kieran latched on. My nipple bleed and the skin on the nipple starts to crack and tear on day 3. That's not the worst. Received negative comments is the most discouraging, initially these comments really affects my thoughts, but I stay persistent and just believe what I'm doing is the right thing for my baby. I'm fortunate to have a very supportive hubby, without him I may have gave up this wonderful connection with our baby.
Apart from these, i got pain from my stitches, first couple of days i couldn't walk and sit properly, let alone having to endure the stinging sensation when passing urine and motion! I had tug of wars during each toilet visits because knowing passing motion needs to exert force and the stitches may tear!
As if these ain't enough, i also experience bad backaches, the exact kind of backache I had when I was into my 5th month of pregnancy.

Following the Chinese confinement method, I can't bathe, can't wash hair, and lots more.. Sometimes my head itch and stink! The trace of sweat lingers around my body the whole day. i got somewhat depressed for this. Luckily Karen bought me 10packs of herbs for me to bathe. I'm using it once every 3 days. Thanks huahua! Not that I can't go down to buy more but I bathing secretly! the pail of water were as if they were HOLY water and every drop is damn precious!

All I can say bout confinement is tough! only a week has past, still gotta endure 3 weeks..but thankfully each time I looked at our darling Kieran the pain and exhaustion simply fades away. =)

No comments: